– ABOUT –
“Always be YOU!”
I am a work in progress and this is where I share my work, my heart and my journey, thank you for being here, I can’t wait to get to know you.
(Self-taught meaning I didn’t go to a school or university to learn about design, but I did do – and am still doing – a whole lot of online courses, etc.)
My design journey started about four years ago when I first wanted to make a website (and possibly a blog) for my then cake decorating business. I started researching and learning about doing it myself and haven’t stopped since. Somewhere along the way, as I was learning about the elements and principles of design, I stumbled across surface pattern design and learned what it is and realized that I really love it and also that I love to create illustrations from my drawings. I draw pictures, design patterns and illustrations and help female small business owners create brands, logos and websites that suit them and show their customers who they are. I would love to have my designs licensed, find an agent and maybe even illustrate books one day… Dreaming is good… Places where I have learned and still learn include (but isn’t limited to) Skillshare, Udemy, Shaw Academy, Make it in Design and Make Art that Sells. I’m also trying to blog again (the first few times I failed big time). I love to help people, I love to share what I know, I love to share my heart. I hope that by blogging about my journey I can do exactly that.
Help. Teach. Encourage.
I’m a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister, a friend. I draw, illustrate, design and create. I crochet toys and stuff and I’m pretty good at using my dslr on manual mode. I read… quite a lot and I also enjoy writing from time to time. I learn every single day, not just about what I do professionally, but also about who I am, about life, about people.I love thinking of life as a road trip. You get in the car and you go. Sometimes you try to plan, but things happen along the way and you have to go with it and change those plans. You do the best you can with what you have, you try your best and trust God to help you along the way and to get where you should. It’s not always fun, it sometimes absolutely sucks and other times it’s absolutely fantastic, but in the end there is always a reason.
We learn, we grow, we change.
It’s good to not be on this road trip by yourself, to share your experiences, your successes, your failures, your knowledge and your heart with others, you never know when someone might need to hear/learn from you. God made us all to be there for each other, to support each other, to help each other. I’m excited about this part of my road trip! Thank you for being here with me, I can’t wait to get to know you. Please get in touch and find me around the web. Remember that you are awesome and totally unique and absolutely wonderful!
Much love, RiëtteA few fun facts about me:
- My husband and I are complete opposites
- I’m a total introvert
- I love watching people, actually, I love people, I think every person is fascinating and has a fascinating story
- I’m shy and quiet in front of people I don’t know, but once I get to know you I talk and talk and talk
- After school I went to Holland to Au Pair
- I worked in the bank after I returned home from Holland
- I used to be a dance teacher – I taught Modern Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop and Disco Jazz
- I also had a small cake decorating business for a few lessons – a lesson I learned, just because you happen to be good at something doesn’t mean you have to do it for a living or to make money
- I drink too much instant cappuccino
- I LOVE chocolate
- I would love to move to a country where it snows – I really miss snow
- Favourite things – skinny jeans, sneaker ( I would love my designs on sneakers…), character t-shirts, smokey eyeliner, pink lip gloss, the colours blue, pink, purple, white, silver, grey and black, tattoos, chocolate, instant cappuccino, sushi
I’m on Instagram